myIRB System Updates: What You Need to Know
WHAT is happening?
The Human Research Protection Office (HRPO) is introducing new functionality and revising the project application in the myIRB system.
This change will be implemented on Friday, 8/11/17 beginning at noon (12 PM). Approximately one hour is needed to implement the changes in the system. During this time, myIRB will not be accessible to users.
WHAT will be different?
- Applications will be split into two sections: “myProject” and “myIRB”; myProject and a new Project Status tab will facilitate tracking of overall project workflow
- Majority of questions captured in an attached protocol are eliminated
- Many fields are converting to table format, radio buttons, or check boxes for ease of entry
- Questions will be re-ordered to flow similar to a protocol
- Documents can be uploaded next to the question triggering the attachment
- A note field for each question will be available for team use while completing the application (notes disappear upon submission)
- Introduction of Limited Access (a new method for requesting inclusion of unaffiliated individuals as team members)
- Decrease in number of pages to click through
- More efficient workflow and notification process related to Other Committee reviews
HOW will studies be impacted?
All studies will be required to transition to the new application.
- Current projects will transition using a Modification (each study has one chance to defer transitioning) -or- Continuing Review (if not already transitioned; there is no option to defer).
- Drafts of new projects (only) will convert to the new form prior to submission. If you are concerned about having to transition a new project you are drafting, submit it prior to August 11 or wait to begin it until after the update has occurred.
- Modification or Continuing Review forms in the draft or pending status at the time of the release will not be impacted.
HRPO will map information from current studies to the new version; it is estimated ~20-25 questions need to be completed to transition.
WHY is this being done?
The goals of the revised application include:
- Making it easier/faster to complete
- Reducing the burden on both researchers and HRPO/IRB
- Responding to feedback from researchers, HRPO staff on areas of application that have been most problematic, difficult to understand or do not fit the type of research being conducted.
- Integrating with other systems (OnCore and EPIC)
- Preparing for sIRB (additional roll out is planned for this Fall to complete sIRB infrastructure)
*Click here for the slides presented at the myIRB New Application Demo sessions, which describe the upcoming release in more detail.
WHOM should I contact with questions or concerns?
Call 314.747.6800 and ask to speak with the SWAT! on-call representative.