Changes in Continuing Review – 2018 Common Rule
|Required that the IRB review research at “intervals appropriate
to the degree of risk, not less than once per year…”
However, the 2018 Common Rule provides new exceptions to these requirements.
- Continuing review is no longer required if:
- The research is eligible for expedited review
- Research is subject to limited IRB review (New Exemptions 2 & 3)
- Research previously approved by the full board (more-than-minimal risk research) has progressed to the point that it involves only data analysis or accessing follow-up clinical data
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CONTINUING REVIEW:
- Be sure to review the information about New Projects and Transitioning Studies Approved Prior to January 21, 2019 to understand when and how the continuing review will be discontinued.
- If you receive a notice from the myIRB system to submit your Continuing Review for a project – you must do so.
- Continuing Review is not turned off automatically without further review by the IRB.