← Back to Did You Know Archive

Are you conducting research outside the United States?

What to do when you are conducting research outside the United States.  Your study requires either review by a local ethics committee or a cultural review by someone not affiliated with the research who has experience conducting similar research in the country where you will be working. You will be asked to provide the ethics committee approval or the name of the cultural reviewer once your study is submitted. A cultural reviewer does not eliminate the need for review by a local IRB/ethics committee if local review is required in the country where you will be doing your research; however, if you have already obtained local ethics review, a cultural reviewer may not be needed. If local IRB/ethics committee approval is required, WU cannot grant approval until it is received and uploaded into the miscellaneous attachments section of the myIRB application. Similarly, IRB review will be delayed if you need a cultural review and do not identify a cultural reviewer.